1. Use the time of a total stranger in such a way that he or she will not feel the time was wasted.
2. Give the reader at least one character he or she can root for.
3. Every character should want something, even if it is only a glass of water.
4. Every sentence must do one of two things—reveal character or advance the action.
5. Start as close to the end as possible.
6. Be a Sadist. No matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them—in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
7. Write to please just one person. If you open a window and make love to the world, so to speak, your story will get pneumonia.
8. Give your readers as much information as possible as soon as possible. To hell with suspense. Readers should have such complete understanding of what is going on, where and why, that they could finish the story themselves, should cockroaches eat the last few pages.
But like all rules, they can be broken, as Vonnegut mention. Its just a tool to help you get started :)
- Kurt Vonnegut: Bagmbo Snuff Box.17 de Outubro de 2016 às 17:55 2 Denunciar Insira 7
There are number of reasons why you should definitely try writing a book. You might think that it’s not yours and you don’t have any special abilities, but there are people who will gladly help and share with you.
Even if you don’t plan to make writing your career, writing a book will help you to get on a next level and will help to advance your creativity skills.
Here I want to share with you a several reasons you should write a book.
1. Stand out from the crowd
Not everybody chooses writing a book as his/her career and that’s why you should try it yourself. Besides people who know how to express their thoughts on paper have a special mindset that will automatically make you stand out from the crowd.
2. Share what you are really interested in
Everyone has a hobby, something we love to do the most, and it doesn’t matter what it is, if we can share it with others. For instance, you love dogs and maybe even you’re working as a veterinarian. What you can do is to embody your passion, knowledge and experience to write a children’s book about the dog. You just take and share what you love in a creative way. Trust me, people going to like it.
While you stay clear and precise in your idea, people will read you. Remember, their reaction on your thoughts may be different, but it’s important that you decided to share with them.
3. Change people’s lives for the better
Perhaps your book will be about the changes that are relevant to nowadays events, about what people really want to say, but do not dare to do. It can be some kind of motivator. You can use your talent to encourage others to change or even to bring back a man to the spiritual path. Sometimes a single phase would be good enough to arouse a hidden potential in us.
4. Discover yourself in a new way
The writing process gives you the opportunity to delve into yourself to find the right words. You get a chance to explore yourself, comprehend your life and life in general. The process of writing and expressing thoughts takes the writer to new level of self-understanding. It consumes a lot of energy, but in the process you understand why writing is so special, and why writing is so sacred and deeply therapeutic activity.
Writing always has been ideal method of communication of what you feel and what you think. The ability to express your thoughts in written form is a powerful tool. Besides, there are people who just can’t speak in front of an audience, and books provide them the opportunity to share their thoughts directly.
6. Starting your own business
Many business people use writing as a tool to enter a new market. Books give you an opportunity to achieve something significant. First of all you can share your message all around the world, boosting trust in you and your business.
Also books have special trait, they leave their mark in history. Your thoughts, creativity, imagination and personal experience will be available to everybody in the world. So if you want to leave your fingerprints to the world one of the ways is writing a book :)
Have you thought about writing a story or book? If yes, what’s going to be about?15 de Outubro de 2016 às 01:14 3 Denunciar Insira 10
Welcome everybody to the new Inkspired blog for emerging writers, where you will be able to find weekly posts about how to write better stories and tips to improve your writing skills :)
Stay tuned to this piece of beautiful writing, and don't forget you are an important part of it, so let's engage in conversations through the comments! Perhaps we can even integrate you to be a guest writer one of these days :)
Hope you have a wonderful weekend, and happy writing!
K15 de Outubro de 2016 às 00:45 7 Denunciar Insira 21