jei_el Glorious Michael

An unexpected love springs up between these two, will they be able to end in a world of romance?


Cuento Todo público.

#romance #inkspiredstory #Love #Affair
Cuento corto
0
2.5mil VISITAS
Completado
tiempo de lectura
AA Compartir

An Unexpected Love Affair

Ellen Hayes is the one love forgot. With her square face and homely looks, guys never thought of her romantically. The men she dated only wanted sex or money from her. As a result, Ellen became the best friend, sidekick, and wing-woman. As she sat waiting for her best friend and college roommate. Janet. Ellen wondered if she was insane. Since college, the statement accredited to Einstein has applied to their relationship.

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results,”

They’d arranged dates, and Janet had the annoying habit of being late. Ellen, once again, sat waiting. Five minutes later, Janet rushed in.

“Hey, girl, how you doing? So, sorry, I’m late. We had an emergency at work. My team and I had to stay for a meeting,”

Janet sat and reached across the table and patted Ellen’s hand.

“What’s wrong, Ellen? Have you’ve been crying?.”

“Yes. Things haven’t been going so well lately. You know, money problems.”

“Why am I just hearing about this? No. don’t tell me. You didn’t want to bother me, right?”

“You know how I am. I thought I could handle the problem on my own, but you know what people say, when it rains, it pours.”

“Details, darling. Details.”

Fighting back the tears, Ellen explained. “My Mom had an emergency, and I had to loan her money. But that was okay. I was getting by. Then my roommate told me she’s moving out at the end of the month. You know I can’t afford to pay that rent on my own. I’m behind in my student loans. I’m on shaky ground on my job. I don’t know what I’m going to do.” Ellen buried her face in her hands and sobbed.

“Don’t worry, we’ll get through this. I don’t have much money, but I can loan you something. If you want, when I get home tonight, I’ll ask David if he can chip in.”

Just when Ellen thought things couldn’t get worse, she heard the voice of Chatsworth Buxton Brooks. Ellen peeked over her fingers. She hadn’t seen him since they graduated from Syracuse five years ago.

“Well, what a pleasant surprise seeing you, ladies. How are you two making out?” he said as he sat next to Janet, forcing her to scoot over. The way Chatsworth asked told you he was only asking because he wanted to brag about how well he was doing.

Janet raised her eyebrow as she looked over at Ellen. To say Ellen and Chatsworth disliked each other was an understatement. They constantly bickered over everything during their four years at school.

Ellen sighed. His aloof manner irked Ellen. She couldn’t believe he had the nerve to sit at their table. But there he was.

“Why are you sitting here?” Ellen blurted out.

Her remark caught Janet and Chatsworth by surprise.

“Why, Ellen, am I detecting a little hostility?”

Ellen sat back in her chair. “What do you think?”

“Listen, you two.” Janet interrupted, “I put up with squabbling for years. Can’t you two be civil for once?”

Chatsworth smiled. “Yeah, I can, but I don’t know about your partner over there.”

Before Ellen could respond, Janet spoke.

“She’ll be fine, Chatsworth. So, what are you doing these days?”

“You may or may not have heard, I am the executive chef at Chez Henri’s.”

“Wow. Henri’s. Congratulations. Isn’t that great, Ellen?”

“Thanks. Perhaps you read my interview in the June issue of Modern Chef Magazine? Out of ten chefs, I was the only Black one.”

Ellen gave a quick, half-hearted smile

“Anyway, Chatsworth. I’m glad you’re doing well.”

“I am, but my dream is to open my own restaurant.”

“Really? That sounds nice, Were do you want to open it?”

“Here, on the other side of the city. I haven’t thought of a name for it yet, but I have the interior laid out in my head. At the rate I’m saving, it’ll probably take me a long time to raise the money.”

Chatsworth and Janet laughed. Ellen didn’t.

“Chatsworth, have you ever heard of the reality show, ‘Meals by Two’?”

“No, can’t say I have.”

“It’s a three-day pro-am cooking show. Four teams compete by preparing breakfast, lunch, and dinner meals from a basket of secret ingredients. Three well-known chefs will judge the meal. The third-place winners earn 10,000, second place winner earns 20,000, and a grand prize of 50,000.”

“Hey, maybe you and I can team up. I know we could win.”

“No, not me. I can barely boil water. Besides, I don’t have the time. But I Ellens free.”

Ellen glared at Janet. Janet returned a sheepish grin.

“Excuse me. I’m going to the lady’s room.”

Janet and Chatsworth watched Ellen walk across the restaurant and disappear behind a wall.

“Janet, she hates me. She’ll never work with me.”

“I’ll work on her. Just leave me your contact number.”

As Ellen returned to the table, she smiled to see Chatsworth wasn’t there.

“Janet, what do you mean, volunteering me to work with Chatsworth? You, of all people, know how I feel about him. Working with him would mean long hours together. I couldn’t take it.”

“Listen, Ellem,” Janet began slowly. “Let’s be honest. You admitted you needed money. You’re only hurting yourself if you don’t take this opportunity. We both know that Chatsworth has a damn good chance of winning this contest. Imagine, Ellen. You’ll earn half of the prize money. Surely you can put up with even Chatsworth for three days. For that kind of payday.”

The next morning, against her better judgment, Ellen contacted Chatsworth. They agreed to meet after Chez Henri closed.

Ellen parked in front of Chez Henri. She sat, watching Chatsworth walking around the dining room.

Ellen had forgotten how tall Chatsworth was. She admired how he kept the physique that earned him all-American honors as a football linebacker in college. His muscular arms wedged into a form-fitting black T-shirt that tapered to a narrow waist. Back-lit by the light in the room, Ellen’s eyes followed him as he moved table to table, interacting with people. She closed her eyes for a moment. When she looked into the restaurant again, Chatsworth wasn’t there. A tap on the window startled her. It was Chatsworth. She spoke to him, but he motioned for her to roll down the window.

“Jesus, this is embarrassing.” Ellen thought to herself. She pinched her lower lip with her teeth.

With a broad smile, Chatsworth asked, “You okay? How long have you been sitting here?”

“Oh, I just got here. I was about to come inside to see you.”

“Okay. Come on in. I’ll introduce you to the staff.”

Ellen felt nourish. “What prank is he up to now?”

She wondered.

“Hello, everyone. This is Ellen. Ellen, this is everyone.”

After exchanging greetings, Chatsworth explained.

“Ellen was an undergrad at Syracuse. I chose her to be my assistant on a reality show, Meals by Two. I have just two days to practice my meal preparation. Besides teaching her the routine of a well-run kitchen. Believe me, I’ve got my work cut out for me.”

They laughed while Ellen fumed. When Ellen and Chatsworth reached the kitchen, he turned to speak. Ellen cut him off in mid-gesture.

“How dare you, Chatsworth! You haven’t changed a bit. You stood out there and embarrassed me in front of all those people. I thought I could trust you. Hell, I can’t work with you.”

Ellen turned and rushed out of the restaurant. Chatsworth caught Ellen as she reached her car.

“Look, I didn’t mean to upset you. Although I don’t know why sure getting so upset, I was only speaking the truth.”

“You’re an idiot!”

Ellem snatched open the car door.

“Owl! You hit my knee.!”

“Did it hurt?”

“Yes, it did.”

“Good!”

Chatsworth jumped out of the way as Ellen sped off.

Ellen drove two blocks, then turns into a parking lot and parks.

She pulls out her cellphone and speeds dial Janet.

“Janet. I can’t take it. I walked out.”

“Ellen? What? Did you walk out on Chatsworth? Why?”

“He humiliated me. We argued, and I walked out.”

“Listen, Ellen. You nerd Chatsworth.

Winning this contest is essential to you. Swallow your pride, Return to Chatsworth. Tolerate him for four days. Win the contest. Get your money. And you’ll never have to see Chatsworth again/ Okay?”

Ellen thought for a moment. She knew Janet was right. Slamming her palm against the steering wheel, she makes a U-turn and drives back to Chez Henri’s. Ellen rang the bell. After a few moments, Chatsworth opened the door.

“Did you forget something, Ellen?”

Ellen composed herself.

“Perhaps, I was too hasty. But never do that to me again.”

“Yeah, whatever. Anyway, it’s too late to get another assistant... Come in and, let’s get started.”

The rest of the night was hectic. There were few words spoken between Ellen and Chatsworth. Their coordination and rhythm were off, and it resulted in tasteless, dry meals. Frustrated, they sat on opposite sides of the kitchen, avoiding eye contact. The tension between them was like a living thing. Chatsworth broke the silence.

“Do you know any other Black guy named Chatsworth?”

Ellen gave him a strange look. “What?”

“The name Chatsworth. Do you know anyone else with that name, Black or White?”

Ellen swallowed deeply before slowly responding. “No, Chatsworth. You are truly one of a kind.”

Chatsworth smiled and nodded. He appeared amused by her answer.

“What do you think we’re doing wrong, Ellen?”

“I honestly don’t know, but it’s late, and I need to get home. I have to get to work early tomorrow. Had a few problems at work.:

“Okay, you go. I’ll see you tomorrow. If you don’t want to continue taking part in the contest with me. I won’t blame you.”

“Oh, no. I’m in it to the end.”

Chatsworth smile. “Yeah, that’s the spirit. It’ll be better tomorrow. I promise. I’ll remember I am the ‘pro’ in this Pro-Am Cooking Contest.”

On the drive home, Ellen wondered why Chatsworth asked the peculiar question about his name. Then, she realized that was his way of breaking the tension, getting them out of an awkward moment.

“That Chatsworth is full of surprises. “she thought.

The next evening, Chatsworth greeted her with a smile.

“Ready to rock-and-roll?”

Ellen could feel his enthusiasm.

“Yes, I am Chatsworth.”

The evening practice session went smoothly. Ellen and Chatsworth navigated their way around the kitchen and each other. The awkwardness that marred last night’s practice disappeared. They were the well-running team they envisioned. The meals they prepared were textbook perfect. The aromas wafted through the air, drawing lingering staff members into the kitchen. Ellen and Chatsworth welcomed the unexpected tasters.

The unsolicited compliments lifted Ellen’s and Chatsworth’s spirits and confidence. They sat around, savoring the food, drink, and conversation. An hour later, the crowd thin out. Ellen and Chatsworth sat on stools close to each other.

Chatsworth smiled at Ellen.

Chatsworth reached out his hand. “Well done, partner.”

Ellen tried not to look surprised at either the offer of a handshake or the compliment.

“Thank you, Chatsworth. You sounded as if you really meant that.”

“Really? Why would you think I didn’t mean it?”

‘Let’s be honest, Chatsworth. You taunted me during our years at Syracuse. I don’t know why you felt it was necessary to remind me every day of my looks and size. Do you know there isn’t a day that goes by that I’m not reminded of both?”

“But I was only kidding with you. Ellen, you always gave as good as you got.”

“It wasn’t easy trying to match wits with the football team captain and the most popular student on campus. It got so bad that everyone you knew felt I was fair game for their insults. I hated you.”

Chatsworth stared at Ellen pensively. “Well, you best be going.”

Just before Chatsworth opened the door for Ellen, he held her elbow.

His unexpected touch startled her. Strangely, it wasn’t unwanted by Ellen.

Gazing out the door, he slowly began. “Listen, Ellen, I don’t know if it’s too late, but I want to apologize for my and my ‘friend’s’ behavior towards you. In fact, I admired you. Football got me through college. Yes, I was popular, but not always happy. Your strength was amazing to me. I never got the best of you, Ellen. I would watch you and your friends. Your friendship seemed so real. I guess I was envious.”

Ellen tilted her head forward. He realized she was looking and smiled weakly. “Better let you out of here.”

Chatsworth turned the key, but before he opened the door, he faced Ellen.

“Ellen, I never meant to hurt you.”

Even as Chatsworth’s face came closer to Ellen, she didn’t know he was going to kiss her.

After the kiss, he gently ushered out the door, closed it, and walked away.

Ellen stood stunned. She rolled her lips as if she was unsure what had just happened, “Why would he do that,” the thought swirled around her mind.

Somehow, she walked to her car. Sitting behind the wheel, she fished through her pocketbook for her phone.

“Hello, Ellen. how are you… Ellen?”

“He kissed me, Janet.”

“Who? Who kissed you? Is there something you’re not telling me?

“Chatsworth, he kissed me.”

“Our Chatsworth? How did that happen?”

Through shutters and stammers, Ellen told Janet what happened.

Ellen met Chatsworth at the contest studios. Neither mentioned the kiss.

They busied themselves around the kitchen to avoid conversation. In one instance, Ellen and Chatsworth reached for the same utensil and touched hands. They looked at each other and smiled.

“Why did you kiss me last night?”

“I’ve wanted to kiss you for so long.”

“Well, what do you suggest we do when the contest is over?”

“I suggest we continue our partnership.

18 de Agosto de 2021 a las 16:41 0 Reporte Insertar Seguir historia
0
Fin

Conoce al autor

Comenta algo

Publica!
No hay comentarios aún. ¡Conviértete en el primero en decir algo!
~