C
C Clark Carbonera


Francesca heard a strange noise coming from downstairs. She can't imagine what awaits her!


Short Story Not for children under 13. © All rigths reserved

#guardian #angel #brasil
Short tale
2
1.8k VIEWS
Completed
reading time
AA Share

.


Francesca ran her hand over the misty bathroom mirror. Her face still flushed and rosy from the warm water showed enormous satisfaction. The big brown eyes were wide with ecstasy. At least it was over. More than half a year, actually, 8 months and 3 weeks dedicated to an exam just to get the title of lawyer.

She had a sense of accomplishment. She did her best on the test and knew that this time, if she hadn't gotten the minimum grade, it just wasn't meant to be. God had other plans for her.

"Hunf" she grabbed the comb from the first drawer and lightly combed her damp hair. "God...Yeah."

She ran the hair cream through the many curls that were already starting to sprout on her head and left the bathroom.

She checked her cell phone, but nothing from her friend yet. Threw the towel on the bed and put on her nightgown. She felt the silk on her skin and hugged herself. It was finally over! Now she could live a little!

Her cell beeped and she ran to it. Too excited to put her happiness into words, she began to record an audio for her friend who was asking how the exam had gone.

Then she heard a noise downstairs. Francesca stopped the audio and looked out her bedroom window. The jasmine growing in her small garden was swaying strangely. She looked out the windows of the neighboring houses, but they were all dark and she also noticed that it wasn't windy.

"Hanna, I'll be right back. "

She dropped her cell on the bed and slowly went down the spiral staircase to the floor below. The light from the small TV room dimly illuminated the outside of the house, a small area with a barbecue grill that was never used, a round plastic table with beach chairs, and the thin rectangular garden.

What if it was a burglar? Worried, Francesca looked around the room and found nothing that she could use as protection. And why on earth had she left her phone up there? Was she in a cheap horror movie by any chance? Running to the kitchen, she picked up the steak knife, which she actually used to cut cabbage. She swallowed hard and took two breaths.

Maybe it's a cat, you fool.

Half laughing at herself for the drama she was making, she went back into the bright living room and opened the door to the outside.

But when she heard the murmur of two people talking, her heart froze and it was as if her feet were stuck to the floor. That certainly wasn't a cat. Unless she was in Neko no Ongaeshi, cats didn't talk. A shiver ran through her body, and she didn't move. No way!

Come on, you dolt! There are two strangers in your house and you're just going to stand there?

But Francesca couldn't move. The knife fell out of her hand and she clenched her teeth hard as she heard the sound of the knife bouncing several times on the floor until it stopped. The sound reverberated every time a new bounce occurred. How could a knife bounce so many times?

The voices stopped after the first bounce sounded through the barbecue area and an awkward silence, after the knife had settled down, persisted for a few seconds, until a man dressed entirely in white emerged from behind the barbecue bench.

Francesca's eyes widened and a bizarre sound came out of her gaping mouth.

Really? You can't even scream? You're toast, woman...

"It's normal to be afraid, Francesca," said the strange man. "But there's no need for that. I'll do my work and then we'll leave.

"Er...Ãnn...Gha..."

Fuck, Francesca! Talk some shit at least!

She saw that just above the man there was a hole in the awning.

"Y-you ruined my awning."

Francesca heard a groan of pain, but it wasn't coming from the man in front of her.

The man in white looked up and then down, from where a young man, also dressed in white, but apparently much younger than the other man, stood up.

"Actually, it wasn't me who put a hole in your awning, it was Simone," he gestured to the young man, who pursed his lips and wrinkled his nose.

"I only ruined your awning because he tore off my wings."

Francesca didn't know which one to look at, she was getting a little dizzy.

"Wings?"

The young man was about to say something, but the man held up his hand and said passively, with a calm smile on his face.

-"That doesn't matter for the moment. I'm here to take you, dear. It's your time."

-"What?! Take me!?" she jumped back.

Finally moving!

"Well, yes..."

The man pulled a long piece of paper from his white pants pocket and reread a few lines. The young man leaned back as if he wasn't interested and also looked at the list.

-"You, as it seems, cheated on the test you took today."

Francesca felt her jaw drop. This had to be a joke.

"What do you mean? I didn't cheat! I... I..."

The man clutched his chin to his chest and raised his eyebrows as if he found the whole situation comical. The young man next to him wiggled his eyebrows twice and gave her a mischievous smile.

"But I only looked at that girl's test. I had no intention of cheating! I had already written my answers on the final sheet! I mean..."

She wrung her hands in despair, was this really cheating?

"Okay, maybe I compared my answers to hers, but they were only the first three and it's not like I could change my answers anyway. I had already passed them on to the final sheet!"

Hearing Francesca's words, the man raised his head and a slight confusion appeared on his face. He looked at the paper in his hands again.

"Well, but you are Francisca da Silva, aren't you?"

"Uhhh, no. My name is Francesca da Silva. Da Silva Moretti, actually."

"Oh, I seem to have made a mistake!"

Francesca felt her legs soften with relief.

The man in white squeezed his eyes shut for a moment and then closed them in concentration. He folded the long paper, then put it away. Snapped his fingers and suddenly, at that very instant, a girl with wet, blond hair, lathered all over her soaked body, appeared.

The girl let out a panicked scream and tried to cover her body with her hands. Francesca also screamed and covered her eyes, then her mouth, then her eyes again.

"Who are you?!" shouted the soaked girl.

"Are you Francisca da Silva?" asked the man in white who snapped his fingers.

The poor girl didn't know what to do in that situation, her color fading and returning to her face. Francesca ran to remove the towel that adorned the plastic table, throwing it to the naked girl, the lather almost nonexistent at this point.

"Y-yes..." she took the towel that Francesca had thrown to her, nodding her head in thanks. "But who are you? How did I get here?"

"My name is Aurelio, Francisca. And you will have to come with me for the faults you committed..."

"Faults?"

The man continued as if he hadn't been interrupted.

"... I apologize for the scare we gave you, Francesca. Due to an error in the translation of names, I was going to take you instead of this young woman."

Francesca nodded her head in agreement a few times. Wondering what this girl was going to go through after all this. Not knowing whether to feel relief that it wasn't her or fear for the young woman.

The girl wrapped in her towel looked terrified at the man called Aurelio, who smiled gently.

"But as you said to yourself upstairs, coming out of the bath. Maybe God has other plans for you."

He cast a meaningful look at her and the young man next to her.

"I hope you learn something this time, Simone."

The young man crossed his arms and looked irritated at the man, who snapped his fingers and vanished into thin air, taking the girl named Francisca with him.

Francesca blinked several times and scratched her eyes to make sure she wasn't hallucinating. Raising her face, there was the young man still looking irritated, more like a sulky child, really. She couldn't believe this had happened.

The two exchanged curious and cautious glances.

"So... You mean..." she shook her head, trying to clear her mind. "What exactly does that mean?"

"Uh, I guess it's obvious, isn't it?" he opened his arms and smiled full of satisfaction, as if welcoming back a relative long gone. "I'll be your guardian angel!"

Francesca groaned in agony and covered her face with her hands.

"Oh, fucking God's hel-..."


May 6, 2022, 10:17 p.m. 0 Report Embed Follow story
2
The End

Meet the author

C Clark Carbonera “A utopia está lá no horizonte. Me aproximo dois passos, ela se afasta dois passos. Caminho dez passos e o horizonte corre dez passos. Por mais que eu caminhe, jamais alcançarei. Para que serve a utopia? Serve para isso: para que eu não deixe de caminhar.” Fã de carteirinha de Buffy - The Vampire Slayer.

Comment something

Post!
No comments yet. Be the first to say something!
~