amanda-kraft1664221938 Amanda Kraft

A young man loses his mother, but before her passing she gives him a necklace and tells him never to take it off his neck. He's now an orphan who lives with his aunt and cousin at the ''Wolf Farm''. There, he will learn his true story.


Short Story For over 18 only.

#werewolf
Short tale
4
1.4k VIEWS
Completed
reading time
AA Share

The Call of the Werewolf

My thoughts were running wild as i watched the town through the train window. I felt lost now that i was alone in the world. I had just buried my mother and i was heading to my aunt’s house, whom i only knew through old photographs. My mom didn’t like talking about her past, especially if it envolved my father. When i asked her about him, she used to roll her eyes. While on her death-bed, she ensured me her sister would take care of me. She made me promise i would never wander alone through the woods around my aunt’s house, without giving me much of an explanation. I swore to her i wouldn’t. She smiled as she held the scarlet stone i had carried around my neck, a gift from her i got when i was a baby.

The vegetation was the only thing i could see as i was getting closer to her house. I got out at the station not knowing who would pick me up. I had the address, in case i needed to take a cab there. I inhaled the fresh air from the country-side that afternoon, watching the people around me. I went to the ticket booth to ask for information regarding a cab that could drive me to my destination.

— Good afternoon! — I said to the man behind the booth.

— Hello. — He said happily before looking at me. As soon as he saw me, his smile faded. He said a little prayer, leaving me stunned.

— Do you know if there’s a cab heading to the ‘’Wolf Farm’’?

Before he could awnser, someone called me and as i was turning to see whoever called me, it was someone about my age. I smiled, as i felt relieved.

— I’m Jack. Your cousin. My mom’s waiting for you. — He said, while raising his hand.

— I’m glad you’re here to pick me up, Jack. I think the man in the ticket booth wasn’t too happy to see me.

— What do you mean?

— I don’t know for sure. He said a little prayer when he saw me. Is there something wrong with my face? — I asked cleaning my face.

— There’s nothing wrong with it, cousin. Let’s go. It’s getting late.

We began talking as we were heading to the farm. I felt good, like i was meant to be there. We crossed the gate and, as i closed it, i heard a noise on my right ear. I felt Jack’s hand clutching harder the ropes in which he controlled the horse.

— What’s the matter? — I asked, watching him making the horse go faster.

— It’s getting late.

He barely finished his thought when a german shepherd came out of the woods, barking and heading our direction. Jack smiled and i could see he was relieved.

— Whose is it? — I asked as soon as the dog was walking beside us.

— This is Cisco. He’s the family dog. He loves walking through the woods.

— I always wanted a dog, but mom wouldn’t let me.

The dog ran in front of us, happily barking. On the porch, there was a woman waiting for us. She smiled shyly as she saw me in the twilight. She reached out her hand, and before i could shake it, she heard a noise in the trees.

— Get in! — She said strictly.

The house had nothing to write home about. It was big and had a freshly-baked bread smell. The old furniture reminded me of a time long gone. I was to sleep in the Jack’s bedroom, altought the house had many rooms. Before i could request a room, my aunt nervously told me:

— Bernard, you’re gonna stay with Jack. He’ll take care of you. — She said, leaving the room.

— What does she mean by that? I know full well how to take care of myself — I felt offended by that, but i looked at my cousin’s face and i shut up. His eyes were full of worries.

— My mom didn’t mean anything bad by that. You don’t know how to walk through the woods, right? It can be very dangerous after dark.

— You don’t go out? You don’t go to the town at night?

— Of course i do, but only when it’s safe.

— ‘’Only when it’s safe?’’ I don’t know if i get it.

— Come cousin. I’ll show you around. You must be tired.

We had a very rich supper. My aunt didn’t talk much and she seemed nervous. She looked like my mom sometimes. I missed her. My life changed a lot in so little time. I was thankful for having a house, altought, they seemed a bit... odd. I lied down and it took me a while to sleep. I believe i napped, because i suddenly woke up hearing a very loud howl coming from the woods. I got scared by the dogs barking; frightened even, altought, i felt something inside me. The longest howl sounded like a calling. I jumped outta bed and as i was about to touch the window, Jack warned me:

— Don’t open it!

I turned to him, surprised. Was there a prisioner on that house?

— I wanna know where that howl is coming from. Do you know what is it?

— I do. And that’s why i’m telling you not to open the window.

— What’s going on? I noticed you and my aunt were looking at each other during dinner.

— You’re seeing things. Go back to sleep.

Taking his suggestion, i went back to bed, altough i couldn’t sleep again. That was my family now, but it would be nearly impossible for me to learn their secrets.

******

The day rose, and Jack was calling me to eat breakfast. I woke up feeling sleepy, because i didn’t get much sleep last night. I washed my face and the smell of fresh bread and coffee made me feel a little better. We were gonna go to the town, to buy a few tools to my uncle, that would arrive with the caddle.

While Jack bought the tools, i stayed on the wagon. The folks were starting to stare at me, feeling suspicious, and that was making me feel uncomfortable. Far away, i saw a man stumbling while walking. He was short, and had a large beard. He looked like a homeless guy. Our eyes met and i felt a shiver down my spine. Something weird was making me stare at him. He stared back while passing me by and kept looking at me over his shoulder as he was heading to the train station. I noticed the pedestrians were avoiding him. The men were showing him their guns.

— Cousin? — Jack called, as he saw me staring at the old man. He put the tools in the wagon and jumped on the seat, grabbing the ropes – Let’s get out of here.

— Who’s the old man? Why does everyone seem afraid of him?

— He’s someone we don’t like. Let’s meet my father.

That night, i was tired because i delt with the caddle, and then i heard the loud howl again. Jack was complaining in his sleep. I waited to be sure he was really sleeping, and, slowly and carefully, i opened the window. The howl got louder. I looked at the darkness, lit only by the giant moon and i didn’t see anything. That sound somehow had power over me. I felt a will to be free. I stepped on the window, ready to jump, when i saw it. The first thing i thought was that it was only a big black dog. Altough, he stood up and howled even louder, calling me. His fur was thick and black and his eyes were scarlet red. I felt the stone around my neck burn my skin. I grabbed it and the beast growled. Before i could close the window, it jumped and, in a second, we were standing face-to-face. I couldn’t scream. I thought i was gonna die because of my own stupidity.

The werewolf raised it’s hand and grabbed my necklace. It admired the gift my mom gave me on her death-bed, growling at it. He very quickly destroyed the stone before my very eyes. Then something happened to me. The pain was excruciating. I felt my bones breaking and growing at the same time. I felt my face change and i was alert. I tried to scream, but all i did was howl. The beast looked happy. It jumped to the ground, inviting me to follow it. It raised its arms and majestically howled at me, in a language only its kind could understand, saying: ‘’ I am your father’’. The wind brushed through my thick fur. I’ve never felt so happy in my entire life.

Nov. 5, 2022, 3:06 p.m. 0 Report Embed Follow story
4
The End

Meet the author

Amanda Kraft Participo com mais de cem contos em diversas antologias de várias editoras. Livros lançados: Somente eu sei a verdade; Traição; Uma Segunda Chance; A Noiva da Neblina e o Segredo de Lara pela buenovela.com e também contos e livros inéditos na Amazon kindle.

Comment something

Post!
No comments yet. Be the first to say something!
~