adamiyah-nameth Adamiyah nameth

19 year old Suki has been a demon slayer for as long as she can remember. But one Halloween night in 1925 in Tokyo is like no other. Neighbors are complaining constantly about a mysterious being that she can’t seem to catch. What nobody knows is that this creature has a secret…


Short Story Not for children under 13.

#halloween #friendship #fantasy
Short tale
1
1.1k VIEWS
Completed
reading time
AA Share

One Halloween night

I woke up to the sound of father's intense training. The sound of swords clashing always keep me awake at 6 in the morning. I rubbed my eyes and slowly got out of bed. I looked out the window to see father train. He is such an inspiration to me because of his dedication. He is the highest ranked demon slayer, putting me in second. After a while I finally left from the window and began to get ready for the day, which mostly consists of training. I finished getting ready then headed outside. "Hello father." I said with a smile. Father put his sword in his sheath and looked at me "Hello Suki, you are the exact person I was looking for." I gave father a confused look "What is it father?" He sighed, almost like something was on his mind. "The people are complaining. They said something about a spector lingering around. It's not doing anything to harm anyone though. It's just scaring people." He said. "If this spector is not doing anything to hurt anyone, why are people so worried?" I asked. Father shrugged "They must be scared... and tomorrow is Halloween and you know how these old folks get with their myths." I sighed "I guess I should get to it then." Father smiled "That's my girl! Let's practice together to warm you up." I nodded and we began to train. We trained until dark as usual, taking breaks only to eat.

After training, we gathered around with our fellow demon slayers like we do every night before bed. All of the other demon slayers were about father's size, tall with a strong build. I was the smallest one. They are also way older than me too, because father wanted to start training me to become a demon slayer at a young age. One of the slayers, Hank, looked at me and asked "Suki, did you hear about the spector?" I nodded "Yes Hank, but I wonder what all the fuss is about. This spector hasn't hurt anyone." "They think it is planning something out for tomorrow night, since it's Halloween." Hank replied. Father chimed in "Suki agreed to check this spector out to put everyone at ease. Right, Suki?" I nodded in agreement. "Well I should go with her to protect her. In fact, it would be an honor to Feng." Hank said to father rather formally. Since my father is the top ranked demon slayer he is well respected in the Kimetsu no Yaiba Clan(demon slayer clan). After our meeting, we all said goodnight and got some rest for the next day.

When the morning came, I got up, knowing what I have to do. I sighed as I prepared for my mission. I said goodbye to father after preparing and went on with Hank. We planned to go near the cemetary first. As we walked, the villagers thanked us and wished us good luck. I smiled and thought to myself "I got this." We continued to walk until we felt a figure pass us. "What was that?" Hank asked looking around. I started to look around too. "I don't know." I replied. Whatever figure passed us was really fast, but I kinda sensed a ghostly presence. I think other people felt it too because everyone screamed and ran inside. We didn't let this phase us and continued to walk. We continued until we reached a cemetary nearby. We then heard a hushing sound. Hank panicked and unsheathed his sword and began to swing it around wildly. I quickly tried to comfort him "Hank? Hank! It's okay! Let me handle this!" I then motioned for him to sit down and he sat on a rock nearby to catch his breath. "Sorry." Hank said out of breath "I haven't dealt with spectors in years." I bent down next to him "It's okay Hank. I will finish this. Try to catch your breath." Hank nodded. I don't blame him for being scared, I was kinda scared too, but someone had to do this.

I proceeded until I saw a very faded figure in front of me! The figure put it's hands up "I won't hurt you I swear!" He sounded really freightened. Is this the spector? Am I hearing things? I pointed at him "Are you the spector that has been causing trouble?" At this point I was too far from Hank to call him. The spector replied "It's Seth. I didn't mean to cause any trouble..." Seth paused for a second. I began to see him more clearly. He looked about my age and had shoulder length brown hair, brown eyes, and fair skin. I could see saddness in his eyes as he continued to speak. "My parents and I suffered a terrible crash last Halloween... I have been so lonely since then because no one hear ghosts, except you I guess... All I want is answers... Are my parents still alive?" In that moment I relized maybe I have a gift. That might be why Hank was more afraid of ghosts and spectors. I can see and hear them but he can't. I felt bad for Seth.

"I'll help you find them. What is their address?" Seth's face lit up at my words. "Follw me." He said. When we reached his parent's house, Seth looked confused "Huh?" he asked. "What is it?" I asked. "Their light is on but it wasn't on during that night." Seth said. "Maybe they are still alive." I said. I tried to look inside but I noticed everything was locked. I sat on the ground and Seth did the same.

"I wish my mother was still alive." I said to myself. "I'm so sorry." Seth said. I almost forgot he was next to me. He tried to put his arm around me to comfort me but it fell through me, causing him to apologize again. "Don't worry about it... She died when I was eight. I am nineteen now." I still kinda miss her though." I never in my life opened up to her that fast. It's almost like we knew each other for years. Even though father shames this feeling, I felt vulnerable at this moment. Good thing he is not here to see. A tear fell out of my eye despite me trying to fight it. Seth comforted me the best he could. "It's okay. We all get sad sometimes. Especially if we miss them." After Seth said that my head began to hurt, almost like a migrane. A memory flashed in my head that looked like me as a kid running around with a little boy. The migrane then went away and it felt like nothing happened. I looked over at Seth and smiled at his attempt to help me. There is something different about his presence. I sat and remembered the wolf demon that killed my mom and it made me tear up more. Just thinking about the wolf demon's disgusting red eyes made me sick to my stomach. This is the main reason I became a demon slayer at such a young age. I talked to Seth more about my mother's death until he stood up.

"Thank you. You telling me this made me relize what I have to do. I need to see their faces because of how short life is." I watched as he floated through the walls of their house. After a while, he came back smiling. "They are alive." He said "They just can't see me." I smiled "I'm so glad they are okay." "They look so sad though. They are just holding each other staring at the picture of me hanging on the wall." Seth said with a sigh. I held my finger up "Wait one moment." I then knocked on the door. A few seconds later, the door opened. A tall couple resembling Seth were behind the door. "Why hello." The woman, pressumably Seth's mother said. "I'm sorry but we don't have candy this year." The man, pressumably his father said. "I'm not trick-or-treating... I just came here to send my condolences... Seth was an old friend of mine." I replied. Seth's parents smiled. "Thank you so much sweetheart. No matter how much we try, the greif will stay with us." The mother said tearing up as the father held her closer. "I understand. I lost my mother when I was eight. I am nineteen now, but the saddness because of her death still remains. What's important is that you cherish the memories and allow yourself to feel sad if you need to." I said. They thanked me and we said our goodbyes.

Then I felt a weird presence. I ran out to see if Seth was okay. I saw the wolf demon behind him. I looked closer. It was the same one that killed my mother! I unsheathed my sword with rage. "THIS IS FOR MY MOTHER!" I yelled as I fatally slashed it with my sword. The disgusting creature let out a yelp like a whiney dog before falling over. It slowly closed it's disgusting red eyes and it stopped breathing. I stared at it panting.

"Uh... excuse me...miss?" Seth said. I looked at him "It's Suki." "It's happening again... My presence is fading." Seth said. I began to feel his presence fade. "No.. What?!" I said, glancing at my watch. It's almost midnight! Father must be worried sick! I didn't relize we were together for this long. It felt like thirty minutes to me. I'm rather scared to lose my friend because he is the only friend I have. I held my hand out towards him "Your'e coming back, right? Seth?" I began to tear up and my voice cracked as I called his name. "I have to go Suki." Seth said. I cried and ran to hug him but fell right through him. How could I forget he is a ghost? I fell on the ground, making my face muddy. "I'm sorry Suki." Seth said as I still had my back turned to him after falling. I turned around, watching him fade away. I could not do anything to stop this. Seth's apology was his last three words before fading away. I sat on the ground thinking to myself "What now?"

After a while I got up and walked home. I opened my front door using my spare key. "I'm home! Fath-" "Suki it has been hours! I'm glad you are okay! Where have you been? Why is your face muddy?" Father said before I could greet him. I looked at my feet "I was at the cemetary to catch the spector and I fell in the mud. I got rid of the spector and killed the wolf demon that killed mother." That was only half true. Seth disapeared, but it wasn't because of me. Father hugged me, which is something he rarely does, and said "I am so proud of you. You must be exhausted. Why don't you take tomorrow off?" I smiled "Thank you. Goodnight father." "Goodnight Suki." Father said as I went up to the bathroom to shower.

After getting cleaned up, I went to my bedroom. I sat on my bed with my head in my hands. I looked up and saw my dagger on the floor. I must have forgot to put it away. I went to open my drawer to put it away when a picture fell to the floor that I have never seen before. It must have been tucked away. I picked it up to look at it. It was a picture of me as a child hugging a little boy. The bottom of the picture said 'Suki and Seth, July 1911'. My eyes widened. Was this the same guy that... How could I have forgotten.. The little boy resembles Seth alot... I held my head as the migrane came back. Memories began to flood through my mind. The little boy was Seth! He was my only friend when we were kids! That's why I was so sad when he left! He seemed to forget me too. What is the meaning of this?


...To be continued on Vol.2...

Sept. 18, 2022, 7:22 p.m. 0 Report Embed Follow story
1
The End

Meet the author

Comment something

Post!
No comments yet. Be the first to say something!
~