kimmary-daniels1658446061 Kadora Daniels

Kara is a lonely teenager that is constantly changing her identity with her mother to escape her evil father. Her life is one where she is taught to hide and she does it well. Hilltop is her new school and she does as she has been taught. However, this place isn't like any other place. Here she meets an invisible girl amnesia called Daphne. Together they try to make sense of what Daphne can remember. Hilltop is unkind and would do anything to keep its secrets. Can Kara and her classmates survive Hilltop and it's secrets?


Thriller/Mystery Not for children under 13.

#Mystery #thriller #paranormal #inkspiredstory #hilltop #vanishingcontinent #teenager
1
9.5k VIEWS
Completed
reading time
AA Share

NEW BEGINNINGS

The morning light shone into the living room hitting the hardwood floors, the smell of dust surrounded the room while boxes lay everywhere in the kitchen. Thirty-seven year old, Sarah sorted through the mess, she tied a scarf over her head to protect her hair; it was getting harder to keep moving but she didn’t have a choice. She sighed heavily, it was just another move they had to make, she was trying to rebuild her life with her only daughter and current boyfriend. She really hoped that moving into this town would make life easier than the last time cause she already had a job unlike the last time; the only uncertainty was her daughter.

Down the steps came her seventeen year old daughter dressed in long black coat. Could her daughter be anymore invisible? Her chestnut brown skin was pretty different, it popped so much that it actually looked like it glowed making her stand out where ever she went. Though the one thing they both wanted was to hide, Kara was just better at it than her mother. Sarah did not blame her for not being excited, it was a new school and a boarding school for that matter. Kara was average height with a small frame. She was not much of an eater and it showed. She exercised only because she had to be ready in case they had to run. Red full lips though beautiful were like most things hidden by her. She either folded her lips or lifted clothes over the lower part of her face leaving her almond shaped brown eyes that looked hazel brown under light with her long full eyelashes.

‘Kara I was hoping we could talk before you left’, she spoke softly.

Kara took a big sketch pad along with her and sighed. ‘Are my things already at the school?’ she asked.

‘Yes sweetheart. I need you to know this is temporary. Its just until-’

‘Curtis’s trial is over’, she completed with her head down refusing to meet her mother’s gaze. She could not believe that of all people she was the one that brought them the trouble instead of her mother as usual.

‘The marshal will escort you’, Sarah stroked Kara’s big curly black hair. ‘It’s best if I don’t go with you, you know-’ Sarah added sadly.

‘I know dad’s people might be watching’, Kara completed.

Sarah wanted to hold her daughter and tell her all will be well but at this point it made no sense. This time her name was Sarah Carmichael, financial consultant, married to a deputy marshal James Carmichael. Last time she was Sai Hicks widow with a cat and a dog. This was their eighth alias in the current year, Sarah knew she was far beyond: everything was going to be alright.

‘Per your request, they are only to refer to you as Miss Carmichael. I know that by now you would be tired of the constant change of names’, Sarah finally spoke up.

‘I got over it when I turned seven’, Kara pulled back. The marshal walked in and announced he was ready for her.

‘Too much to ask for a hug’, Sarah asked with a weary smile. Kara did not approach or shy away so Sarah threw her arms around her daughter and swallowed the tears that burnt in her throat. ‘I love you kiddo’, she whispered and kissed Kara’s head.

Kara wanted to ask if that was her real name, Kiddo or it was just a saying. She pulled back and walked out. She stopped and gave her mother one more look. It served her right for letting someone in and daring to fall in love. Whatever her mother’s real surname was, they don’t fall in love or at least they are not allowed to. She got into a black Cheveri jeep and sat in the back thinking about her life. She heard them talking and the marshal promising to be with her.

Kara felt bad for him. He was the fourteenth they were appointed this year alone. Guarding them turned out to be a dangerous job. How did it get to be? Well her mother fell for her father and a night of passionate love making resulted in her. Nope, that was the story her mother told her family. It seemed better than the alternative, she was young stupid and a heavy drinker. She went to a party of a man she met through a friend’s cousin’s brother’s uncle’s roommate. She drank only one glass of margarita and ended up butt naked in bed with him without a memory of it. A month later she is pregnant and thus Kara or whatever her name is born. Her life was not a mystery it was a basket case of sorry.

She was so fed up of new schools, new aliases and new faces. The first thing she told herself was not to get attached to anyone. She could only achieve this if no one knew her name so she decided she wanted to be referred to solely her fake surname not that she had a real one.

The ride was long and silent which she was thankful for. The new marshals did not try to make small talk anymore. The last one that dared was running for his own life courtesy of her father. Brian was his name and he stayed the longest. There was an actual love story between him and her mother. He played the role of father very well, but due to part experiences never she called him dad and proving her right it did not last long. Soon her father found him and he became the focus of her father’s rage. It did not help that the first day her father tracked them down was when Sarah and Brian were in bed together.

The car came to a stop and she looked out of the window to the school. It was a huge castle like building with age written all over it. The walls were covered with crawling plants and the places that weren’t, were covered in ash. The gates were tall with iron bars and “HILLTOP HIGHSCHOOL” written on it. The marshal got the door for her.

‘I cannot drive in’, he announced and she lifted her brow quizzically. ‘They have strange rules in here’, he explained handing her bag and pad over to her. ‘Your things have been put in and your classes picked. ‘You are into art’, he said and looked down at her pad. ‘Clearly, we wanted you to still have an identity and art is the one thing you seemed to cling to over the years. Don’t worry I made sure you were exempted from all extra curriculum activities’. He pulled out a map and placed it in her hand. ‘I scouted the area and marked out all the hidden spots that are within walking distance where you can hide and paint your heart out. I also got you some art supplies in your room and made sure four beds were cleared just for you. I know how much you love your privacy’. He said and she smiled.

‘Thank you’, she said trying not to learn his name.

He tilted his head to the side, ‘anytime kiddo. Hold your head up high, this will be over one day’, he placed his hand on her shoulder and she nodded. She saw a look in his eyes that had died from hers. The look of hope, she wished she would be seeing him soon. She could not have yet another die because he acted fatherly toward her.

— ‘I’ll see you’, she walked past him and pushed the gate open. How long would people die because of her father? She did not look back, his people could be there and her looking back would be the end of him. She was five, how was she to know that looking back at Gus meant she cared. She could not erase the image of her father slitting his throat from ear to ear just to show her that no one would take his place in her life.

She was met by the principle, school was to open in a week but she was a special case so she started earlier. The principle Mr Brown was both charming and insightful. He did not push her or tell her they wanted her to give her best. He just welcomed her and told her to think of the school like a school. It was not her home, so she was not forced to get comfortable and if she felt pressured in any way she could always pull back and give herself a break. She was not forced to attend classes if she did not feel like it. He explained to her that though she was a special case she was also to go according to the rules and regulations of the school which meant no loitering around while classes were going on. She could find a quiet place to sit and relax.

After getting her accustomed to the school she was led to her room which was a big room with ten bunkbeds arranged in rows facing each other. At the very back with a huge window she was given two bunkbeds and the two small closets for the beds. She arranged everything and got settled. She knew how to pass the week, she drew and painted. She was told of the campus store where they could buy anything because they were not allowed to go out. The campus was huge, huge being the understatement of the century and it had so much history. Too bad she was in no mood to learn about it. In her drawings she expressed everything she felt about the place and knew it only get worse, but here was to hoping.

July 22, 2022, 11:39 p.m. 0 Report Embed Follow story
0
Read next chapter FRESHER-S and STALE-RS

Comment something

Post!
No comments yet. Be the first to say something!
~

Are you enjoying the reading?

Hey! There are still 20 chapters left on this story.
To continue reading, please sign up or log in. For free!

Related stories