ng-maiia-linnzhe1647266858 Ng Maiia Linnzhe

The History Of Jade: The Emperor's Stone is a Chinese is a gem or also known as the "Royal Gem".


Historical All public.
0
805 VIEWS
In progress - New chapter Everyday
reading time
AA Share

The Origins Of Jade

Jade has been mined and worked in China since the Stone Age. In prehistoric sites, jade artifacts include simple ornaments with bead, button , and tubular shapes. It was also used for tools and weapons. Jade later became revered with special significance. Beautiful designs were used for carvings, decorations, ceremonies, furnishing, and jewellery for the imperial family.

By 3,000 BC, jade became known as "yu" or the "royal gem".

Xu Shen, from the Han Dynasty, details the five virtues of jade in his work Shuowen Jiezi:

Benevolence for its lustre and brilliance

Honesty for its translucent texture

Wisdomfor its tranquil and far-reaching tone.

Integrity and Braveryfor it may be broken but cannot be twisted.

The most wealthy and influential members of society would be buried in jade suits. Extremely costly and taling years to assemble, the thread used to join the pieces of jade would be gold, silver, copper, silk, or other materials depending on the status of the person buried.

The first archaelogical discoveries of these suits, of Prince Liu Sheng and Dou Wan of the Western Han dynasty, consisted of: 2498 pieces of jade and 2.5 Ibs of gold wire.

The gemstone's significance to Chinese culture cannot be understand. Entire kingdoms in China have started wars over particularly precious stones.



March 15, 2022, 2:03 a.m. 0 Report Embed Follow story
0
Read next chapter What is Jade?

Comment something

Post!
No comments yet. Be the first to say something!
~

Are you enjoying the reading?

Hey! There are still 1 chapters left on this story.
To continue reading, please sign up or log in. For free!