lyra-auburns Lyra Auburns

A girl's imaginary friend visits her after years. What happens? I might make this into an actual book someday, but, for now, enjoy this short story!


#5 in Kinder Alles öffentlich.

#imaginary #friends #open-ended #open #ended #childhood #author
Kurzgeschichte
27
22.2k ABRUFE
Abgeschlossen
Lesezeit
AA Teilen

Only Imaginary

"There you are."

"Hello, Midnight. Miss me?"

"It's been years. How could I not?"

"Have a seat. I'll get you some tea."

Cece stood up from her plastic chair and went to her pretend stove to heat up the teapot. Her imaginary friend— sorry, her invisible friend— waited patiently for her to finish making tea.

"How many sugar cubes would you like?" Cece asked.

"Only one, please," Midnight answered, adjusting her flower crown on her head. Cece sat down at the plastic table and gave Midnight the cup of invisible tea.

She took a sip and Midnight did the same.

"Oh, it's hot!" Midnight exclaimed, tears filling her eyes. "Not your best work, Cece. Sorry."

"It's been a while," Cece apologized, stirring her invisible tea with a plastic spoon.

"You've grown," Midnight noted, looking her friend up and down.

"Yeah."

"How old are you now?"

"It's hard to say these days. Last I checked, I was ten."

"That's pretty old. I'm still the same age as I was last time we talked."

"Really?" Cece was shocked. She had not seen Midnight since she was seven! How had she not aged one bit?

"Perks of being immortal," Midnight shrugged, smiling slightly.

"Huh. That's crazy," Cece said to her, shaking her head.

Her friend smiled. "What time is it?"

"Four thirty," Cece told her, glancing at her pastel pink watch.

Midnight nodded. "I should go," she said, standing up.

"What?! No— Take me with you," Cece begged. "I don't like it here."

"Why not?"

"Everyone's so mature... It's boring."

"Hm. I suppose I have some room in my carriage. I was promoted last week."

"Oh, that's nice. What were you promoted to?"

"I have my own country," she said smugly. "You're looking at Queen Midnight."

"That's so cool!" Cece exclaimed.

"I know, right?"

She grinned. "I have a question," she started.

"What is it?" Midnight asked, tilting her head.

"Why did you come? Was it just to say hi?"

Midnight smoothed her dress and bit her cherry-red lip. "I need your help," she said finally. "You're getting so grown up and I really don't want you to forget about me."

"I'd never forget you!" Cece exclaimed.

"You left me for three years," Midnight reminded her.

Cece looked at the ground sheepishly. "Well, what can I do?"

"Write our story. And when you're done, write a sequel, and write more and more and more. Go on adventures with me, then write about them."

"You want me to be a writer?"

"Yeah," Midnight said, matter-of-factly.

"Why?" Cece questioned.

"Why not? It'll provide an escape from reality and we'll get to spend time together. All writers have invisible friends, they just write about them."

"Huh. I guess you're right."

Midnight nodded. "I'm always right," she shrugged. "Now, come with me to the carriage. It's time to start the first chapter in our story."

14. März 2023 14:01 11 Bericht Einbetten Follow einer Story
17
Das Ende

Über den Autor

Lyra Auburns I'm just a girl trying to share her thoughts with the world. Please don't hesitate to provide criticism of my writing! Thank you to all of my followers for reading my insanity <3

Kommentiere etwas

Post!
AFJ Kernow AFJ Kernow
This is such a great concept for a children’s story. You really should write it. There is great potential here. Just from this prologue I can see Midnight as a character. She's now Queen Midnight, perhaps she's returned because there is trouble in her realm. More please!
March 21, 2024, 07:42
Ann E. Jacobites Ann E. Jacobites
Awh, that was such a cute story!
November 21, 2023, 03:35

Renita J. McK. Renita J. McK.
Very creative! I look forward to more from you. You seem like your writing would be very entertaining. Keep up the good work!
October 29, 2023, 13:45

Merve Gündoğmuş Merve Gündoğmuş
I used to have an imaginary friend and this made my day ^^ Creative :)
September 07, 2023, 13:37
Basil Yakimov Basil Yakimov
Very cute story about Midnight and Cece's girl. I liked it even if the translator was a bit sloppy in translating the masculine and feminine endings.
August 29, 2023, 19:19
Sharpies <3 Sharpies <3
Love this! Super creative and I love your writing style. My only critique would be that it gets a little hard to tell who's talking in the long stretches of dialogue. It'd be nice if there were a few more "midnight said"s and "Cece replied"s and things like that. I know it gets a bit tricky to find words other than said 😅 https://www.spwickstrom.com/said/ is my favorite resource for finding more words other than said. They're sorted by emotion so that makes it super easy to find something that fits :)
April 21, 2023, 01:46

  • Lyra Auburns Lyra Auburns
    Ooh alright, thank you! April 21, 2023, 02:12
  • Sharpies <3 Sharpies <3
    No problem! keep up the good work, your stories are some of my favorites on this app :) April 21, 2023, 02:16
Sean Elliot Sean Elliot
Love it! Can't wait to read more!
March 15, 2023, 14:30
~